Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Toby Jones

Website is best viewed at RecklessVideo.com.  Pop-up credits links are inactive on Blogger.

Sep 17, 2013

Toby Jones

I can’t help myself. I am thinking Toby Jones is the most amazing actor in the world right now. I just watched The Girl the HBO movie that tells the story of The relationship between Alfred Hitchcock and Tipi Hedren.. Tipi was one of Hitch’s muses, starring in The Birds and Marnie. The Girl is not just another movie about Hitchcock. This is, in my Opinion, THE movie about Hitchcock. The other movie Hitchcock (also on our new release wall) is a frothy little confectionary about how Hitch and his wife Alma Reville got the studio to fund “Psycho”. It is a good movie. I like it. But the whole time I was thinking, “Anthony Hopkins in a bald cap and fat suit.” It was a fun look into the era, and the Psycho shoot hinted at Hitch being a bit of a nasty man.

Toby Jones Is Hitchcock. I never had a moment believing that I was not just watching Hitchcock himself. He was so good, and committed to the darkness, the perversity, the cruelty, that boiled from this director of horror and suspense. I have read biographies, and this movie captures all the insidious manipulation that were his stock and trade. The other thing it did was give you a small, painful snapshot into why he was as he was. What pushed him into being the man that made these psychopathic movies in and age of technicolor and poodle skirts.
Toby Jones has done this before. He completely upstaged Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Capote with his take of Capote in the movie Infamous. Toby Jones became Truman Capote to the point that I have since tried to watch Capote again and found that I had to stop 30 minutes in because I just could not willingly suspend my disbelief.
My love letter to Toby Jones continues in that he has been a main and profound character actor in a number of my favorite movies, and yet each time I find something new and lovely in his work. He has not settled on a stock and trade “character”. He could easily have a Leslie Jordan or Martin Short stock character that is recycled in all his movies. But like JK Simmons, Stephen Tobolowsky or Jeffrey Tambor, he has colors and depths that make him a true chameleon in the way most actors only dream of being.
Check him out in The Girl, Infamous, Harry Potter, Painted Veil, The Hunger Games, to name a few of his 74 credits.

--Zoe

More Reckless Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment